Your November 2022 exterior checklist
November is here and the holiday season is upon us. These next couple of months may see you hosting family and friends, and it’s the perfect time to ensure your exteriors are in top shape! The following exterior checklist will make sure your exteriors are ready to welcome guests in style and safety! Read on to find out our November recommendations when it comes to home improvements.
1. Clean and repair walkways: With people coming and going throughout the holiday season, it’s important to make sure your walkways are as easy and as safe as possible to navigate. Clear the walkways and make sure to repair any cracks or holes. Our Fungicidal Wash is a Ready to use solution for the treatment of organic growth on exterior walls, paths and patios. This product effectively kills mould, algae and fungal growth. Now would also be a good time to make sure your pathways are properly lit, and add appropriate outdoor lighting where needed. Also check handrails to ensure they are secure (you can use our metal paint to protect and beautify metal trim).
2. Clear your garden of fallen leaves and debris: Fallen leaves can lead to damage to your garden area if they’re not picked up in a timely manner. In fact, “a heavy layer of leaves can smother the grass beneath or prevent new growth in the springunless promptly taken away. Leaves that are left on the lawn can also promote snow mold diseases which can cause significant damage to turf grass in the winter and early spring.”
3. Repair cracks to exterior walls: Cracks that go unrepaired can lead to larger problems down the line. That’s why, it’s always best to catch cracks, holes, and nicks when they’re as small as possible, and fix them accordingly. It is much easier to fix these issues when they’re small, thus preventing greater damage, than to try and fix them when they’re much larger. Our Ready Mixed Masonry Filler is great for outdoor repairs to fine cracks/holes on brick, render, stone and most other building materials. For deeper cavities, apply in layers of approximately 9mm.
4. Make sure your home is properly sealed: Check around windows, doorways and chimneys to make sure they are properly sealed and correctly protecting your home from wintertime pests as well as cold air. An unwelcome opening in these areas will let frigid winter air inside, making it harder to heat your home, and it will also make it easier for pests such as mice and spiders to migrate indoors. Also check your shed to make sure there are no gaps or leaks.
5. Clean your shed to make sure you can easily access tools: Now that we’re heading into winter, which is arguably the harshest season weather-wise, it’s a good idea to clean your shed to make sure the tools you need are easily accessible for when you need them. Who wants to spend time in the cold hunting for tools? We think the shed should be cleaned at the beginning of every new season, to make your life easier and keep things in proper order.
6. Check your outdoor lighting: With the darkest season upon us, it’s time to make sure your home is properly illuminated. A well lit exterior is key to wintertime safety, and will help make sure you can easily navigate your exteriors and find whatever it is you need, regardless the time of day. Check lightbulbs and replace if needed, and add outdoor lights to areas that need some extra illumination.
Ready to get your exteriors ready for the winter months ahead? Call into your local Sandtex stockist for the supplies you need for your home, whatever the season! You can also visit us on the web to learn more about Sandtex products.
Find your nearest Sandtex stockist
Type in your town or postcode to discover
where you can purchase our paints.