Six things to do for your home before winter ends
January is in full swing, which means that your exteriors are experiencing all the elements that winter brings like snow, wind, rain, and ice. As hard as it may be to believe, spring will arrive soon. While making home improvements during this cold weather may not seem like a good idea, the following tasks are things we suggest completing before the end of this season. The below recommendations will set you up for success in the seasons that follow. Read on to find out more!
1. Check your exterior walls for winter damage: During the winter season, with everyone spending more time inside, it’s easier for damage to your home to go undetected. However, it’s crucial that any issues are identified and repaired before they turn into bigger problems. Now is a great time to examine your exteriors and make repairs as needed. Our Ready Mixed Masonry Filler is perfect for filling in brick, stone, render, and other building materials. This product can be applied directly from the tub using a spreader or knife, and it dries within one hour.
2. Pick up debris from your garden area: Debris such as stray branches and leaves have likely accumulated in the garden over the winter months. If these are not removed in a timely manner they can damage the ground underneath and cause patches in your grass or undergrowth, which is not something you’ll want to deal with when springtime comes. You’ll want to welcome the new season with a clean slate, and putting in the work now will allow that to happen with ease.
3. Thoroughly clean windows: Windows will hopefully be getting plenty of use when the warmer weather arrives, so now is a good time to show them some TLC. Our PVCu Cleaner is just the product for the job, removing grime easily for a renewed shine on your PVC-u surfaces. To use, simply spray onto the surface from approximately 20 – 25 cm away, leave for 30 seconds, and then rinse and wipe clean with a soft cloth.
4. Treat your stone surfaces: Stone surfaces can welcome plenty of mould, algae, and fungal growth if they’re not treated regularly. Our hard working Fungicidal Wash is a ready-to-use, easily applied solution for the treatment of organic growth on exterior walls, paths and patios.
5. Declutter and organise your shed: If the thought of tidying your shed gives you great anxiety, you’re certainly not alone. Still, adding some order to your garden shed will allow you to easily find and properly store all your tools and garden supplies. A clean garden shed is a happy garden shed. When spring comes, you’ll be busy doing plenty of work in the garden, and an orderly shed will make your work much more efficient.
6. Shine your exterior hardware: Polishing your brass accessories is a quick way to refresh your exteriors and highlight your home. Door knockers, handles, mail slots, and house numbers are some of the hardware you should be polishing regularly, in order to clean off the dirt and restore shine.
Are you ready to get your home in top shape before winter ends? Your local Sandtex stockist has all the products you’ll need to exhilarate your exteriors.
Find your nearest Sandtex stockist
Type in your town or postcode to discover
where you can purchase our paints.